Maple TA is a customisable online quiz tool with the capability of adding random elements into questions. It connects to the LMS for simplified interaction and once set up requires little maintenance. It has worked well as a tool for encouraging students to do preparation for classes, and is best suited to small regular quizzes.
- Provides timely and automated feedback;
- Good for encouraging activity amongst students.
- A meeting is required to cover assessment and setup;
- Supply questions and answers, ideally in a digital format;
- Some support of students.
- Engineering Systems Design 2, Engineering Mechanics, Fundamentals of Electrical Networks, Accelerated Mathematics
Peerwise is an online tool developed at the University of Auckland that allows students to post multiple choice questions for other students to attempt. While concern about the validity of answers is often raised, past experience shows that students realise that this is a risk and often enter discussion, when an answer is disputed.
Peerwise is best suited to subjects where fundamental concepts are taught and that have 100+ students to ensure a good sized pool of questions.
- Encourages students to think about subject material;
- Encourages critical thinking.
- One meeting to cover assessment;
- A student list is required for the setup of the site.
- Engineering Systems Design 2, Engineering Mechanics, Informatics 2